What restrictions are there on the domain name I can choose to register?
Domain Names have a variety of basic rules, in general domains must:
- Use only letters, numbers, or hyphen ("-").
- Cannot begin or end with a hyphen.
- .com, .net, .org and .info domain names cannot exceed 67 characters total.
- .info and .biz must have at least 3 characters not including .info or .biz.
- Other domain names cannot exceed 22 characters, not including the extension.
- Domain names are not case sensitive.
- Domain names cannot include spaces.
- 2 letter domains are not permitted.
Strictly speaking domain shouldn't begin with a number either, however in practice it is possible in most circumstances.
Was this answer helpful?
Sub domains allow you to have a new web address for separate areas of your website. Setting up a...
This usually happens because the nameservers on the affected domain have been changed to make the...
There is nothing to be alarmed about if your domain is in this state - it simply means the...
Domain registrations are queued, and there is often a short delay before registration completes....
Typically, the following timescales apply:- .uk Domains - once the IPS TAG change request has...